Omar Todd is an expert on cyber security and social media use for corporations. He has been involved in the technological world for the majority of his adult life. In 1996, he founded the Internet Society of Australia, and he currently serves as the Global Technical Director of Sea Shepherd Global where he has grown their social media presence and exposure with almost no budget.
Social media consultancy as an almost must for businesses, corporations, and organizations today. Social media is a free marketing tool that has an almost unlimited reach. Here are three things to consider when choosing a social media consultant.
- A good social media consultant is easy to find online. Ideal candidates are easily discovered through search terms such as “social media consultant + your location or industry.” The purpose of a social media consultant is to increase an organization’s online presence. If they are good at their job, they know how to increase their own online presence as well.
- When determining which social media consultant to hire, organizations should not look at how many Twitter followers the consultant has. Rather, they should look at who is following them. The number of followers is irrelevant, and what matters is who is following them. The type of people that follows them can serve as an excellent reference.
- Organization’s need to ask social media consultant candidates to present them with a tangible method of tracking their own performance. Hiring a social media consultant is an investment, and the money that would normally be spent on marketing campaigns that are not free is now being used to pay the social media consultant.
Omar Todd has worked with corporations, non-profit organizations, celebrities, and authors to help increase their online presence.
Omar Todd is the Global Technical Director of Sea Shepherd Global. Sea Shepherd Global is an animal and marine life conservation organization that focuses its efforts on fighting illegal activities on the open ocean, and preserving marine life for generations to come.
To be an effective marine life conservation organization, Omar Todd works hard to educate people through social media and other technological strategies. One of the many things he does is teach people why the ocean is important to humanity. Here are three reasons why it is important to conserve the ocean.
- The Ocean consists of 97 percent of the world’s water. It is the largest source of oxygen and produces half of the oxygen on our planet. Humans need the ocean to breathe. By treating the ocean poorly, we are damaging the number one life support system on the planet.
- The ocean is home to about a sixth of animal protein that people eat. Anywhere between 50 to 80 percent of organisms live in the ocean, many of those organisms, predominantly fish provide humans with a healthy and consistent source of healthy protein. By damaging the ocean, we damage the habitat of a key source of food.
- The ocean provides some of the most promising resources for producing life-saving medicine to combat bacterial infections and diseases, pain, and possibly cancer. Damaging the ocean, would damage a resource that could make vital contributions to medical and pharmaceutical advancements.
The bottom line is that the ocean provides humans a resource to produce necessary items to live. Damaging the ocean not only damages the economy, but it also damages human health.
Social media campaigns are an increasingly necessary weapon for political campaigns, causes, organizations, and companies to use to create awareness. The vast majority of people that these companies, political organizations, and other entities are targeting are on social media.
Omar Todd has experience running social media campaigns. In addition to being the Deputy Chairman of The Wikileaks Party in Australia, he is also the Chief Information Officer, Cyber Security Expert, and Social Media Consultant for Sea Shepherd Global, a marine wildlife conservation organization. He helped build their social presence with a very small budget.
Here are three tips for running a successful social media campaign.
- The most important part of running a successful social media campaign is the campaign’s ability to get the message out. Social media profiles should be constructed so that they can be shared with others by others. Social media accounts and profile should also link to other accounts owned by the same campaign. So for example, the Facebook profile should have a link to the Twitter page and vice versa. This is a great way to ensure that people see the message.
- Social media campaigns should link people to the campaign’s main web page. On this web page, people should be able to sign up to receive updates and show their support. The form for this sign-up section needs to be simplified so that people are not put off by having to spend a lot of time signing up to support the campaign.
- Social media campaigns should reward their fans and followers by offering prizes. The prizes should be related to the companies or cause’s products or message. For example, a pizza restaurant should not be offering free iPads. They should be offering a discount or a free pizza.